We’re a community of mostly “mature” women (40s +) who love being active outside. We’re not pros or extreme sports fanatics. Just ordinary people who love to go to awesome outdoor places and do fun, active things. That can be in our own neighborhoods, across the country, or across the world.
AOW isn’t exclusive to women, or even older women. It’s meant to be family-friendly. We love to be out there with our husbands and kids, grandkids, extended family and friends. We encourage you to invite others along who haven’t had the experiences we have, because they’ll probably find they love them, too!
It’s about health and wholeness…wonder…the love of beauty.
To learn more about this site, here are some pages to start with:
- About Sharon will tell you my story…I’m the one who started AOW
- Worldview will bring you to a discussion about my own Christian worldview and why that affects much of the content here
- Get & Stay Fit is an overview of the many wonderful benefits outdoor recreation gives us
Then spend some time exploring some other areas of the site, especially the Blog. Here’s a sample:
- 7 Short & Scenic Gunflint Trail Hikes
- Hike to Dream Lake—Rocky Mountain National Park
- How to Plan an Epic Family Road Trip
- What does Jesus have to do with Nature?
- Why Your Brain Loves Exercise
And come back often — there are updates almost weekly. 🙂
We have a fun monthly email newsletter called Active Outdoor Journal. We cover topics that are health and fitness related, gear related and destination related. You can sign up here to have it delivered right to your inbox.